Tuesday, September 15, 2009


I had a few people ask me for the recipe for the zucchini cake we made for Jonah's birthday. So, here it is:

Chocolate Zucchini Cake
2 C. all-purpose flour
2 C. white sugar
3/4 C. unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
4 eggs
1 1/2 C. vegetable oil (I did half applesauce to cut down on the fat)
3 C. grated zucchini
3/4 c. chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9X13 inch baking pan.
In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Add the eggs and oil, mix well. Fold in the nuts and zucchini until they are evenly distributed. Pour into prepared pan.
Bake for 50-60 minutes in the preheated oven, until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool cake completely before frosting with sour cream chocolate frosting or your favorite frosting.

Sour Cream Chocolate Frosting
1 C. semisweet chocolate chips
4 T. butter
1/2 C. sour cream
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. salt
2 3/4 C. confectioners' sugar

Melt chocolate and the butter together. Let cool and blend in the sour cream, vanilla, and salt. Gradually add the confectioners' sugar until the frosting is of spreading consistency, beat well.

Thank You All Recipes! :)

4 comments:

Lisa said...

I'm so glad you put that up! It was such a great cake. I'm excited to try it. Miss you guys!

Chrispy Critter said...

Thank you for sharing, I am hoping my booty can get even bigger! I bet this cake will do the trick!

Jeanette Millward said...

Hey Kristin, That cake looks scrumptious. I LOVE that you are catching us up w/ the goings on in Texas. Love the house pics. It looks like you got a great house! And I am comin' for those deep fried avocados! What? Also, I love your craft cabinet. I now have another project for myself! Keep the posts coming! Missed you guys a TON in Tahoe, btw.

Kathryn said...

Oh my gosh! I just got finished looking at your blog and it was so much fun! Hello... Jonah could not be cuter and I loved seeing the picture of your whole family. Dirk has a little girl! Cute! and I almost peed in my pants when I saw Nathan. Woah! I didn't recognize him. Everyone looks great. How awesome that ya'll have a house. I'm a little jealous.. but very excited for you. There is no way we will be able to afford a house here. We are afraid that we will have to move away before that dream becomes a reality. Oh... tell your mom that I would love if she made me one of those manly dress up doll books too :). It sounds great. Anyways... tell your family that I say hello. It was so fun seeing your pictures and you are just beautiful. I really have to go to bed now. I'm going to be very tired in the morning. This is the only time I get to do this though :).

Kathryn